There are tons of astral projection techniques out there and I noticed a common trait of all the techniques – each practice starts with entering a state of deep and complete relaxation. This is because 100% relaxation is a crucial necessity to astral projection and many fail to astral project due to not being able to achieve that necessary 100%. It’s even more common for those just learning the ropes of the art of astral projection.
I thought of sharing with you a technique called the Monroe Method.
It is, by far, the most talked-about and favored technique around, with the anchor, rope and gazing methods coming in close.
Here are easy-to-follow 7 steps for achieving astral projection using the Monroe Method:
1. Relax the body. According to Monroe, “the ability to relax is the first prerequisite, perhaps even the first step itself” to having an out of body experience. This includes bothe physical and mental relaxation. While Monroe himself never suggested a particular method of attaining relaxation, you can try this:
- Start with deep breathing
- Inhale deeply and slowly.
- Focus all your attention on relaxing your body in stages – from your toes, and slowly work your way upwards.
Alternatively, you can also try the more comprehensive (but very effective) progressive muscle relaxation technique.
2. Enter the hypnagogic state. Once you’ve attained complete relaxation, you can try to move your consciousness into a hypnagogic state. This is a state of bordering sleep — where your mind, and body are just at the very edge of falling into slumber. While Monroe doesn’t recommend any method of doing this, you can try the following:
- Hold your forearm up while keeping your upper arm on the bed (or on the ground if you’re not on a bed)
- As you start to fall asleep, your arm will fall, and you will awaken again.
- Practice frequently and you will eventually be able to control this state without using your arm
Alternatively you can try focusing all your attention on one object. When other images start to blend into your thoughts, you know you’ve entered the desired hypnagogic state. Passively observe these images while concentrating on that object. Focus hard enough, and long enough, so that when you close your eyes, you are still able to visualize that object.
3. Deepen the hypnagogic state. Begin to clear your mind and observe your field of vision through your closed eyes. All you have to do is simply look through your closed eyelids at the blackness in front of you. After some time, you will begin to notice strange light patterns, or have everything in your field of vision be cloaked in purple light. These lights are simple neural discharges. You are to ignore them. When these lights cease to appear, you know you’ve entered the deepened hypnagogic state.
At this point, you should enter an even deeper state of relaxation that you’ve gradually lost all awareness of bodily and sensory stimulation. You are almost in a void in which your only source of stimulation will be your own thoughts. This detachment is extremely important and very ideal in order to continue on to the next stage.
4. Enter a state of vibration.
This is the most important part of the technique, and also the most vaguely explained. Many projectors have noted these vibrations at the onset of projection. They can be experienced as a mild tingling, or as is electricity is being shot through the body… their cause is a mystery. It may actually be the astral body trying to leave the physical one.
For entering into the vibrational state, Monroe offers the following directions:
- Remove all jewelry or other items that might be touching your skin.
- Darken the room so that no light can be seen through your eyelids, but do not shut out all light.
- Lie down with your body along a north-south axis, with your head pointed toward magnetic north.
- Loosen all clothing, but keep covered so that you are slightly warmer than might normally be comfortable.
- Be sure you are in a location where, and at a time when, there will be absolutely no noise to disturb you.
- Enter a state of relaxation
- Give yourself the mental suggestion that you will remember all that occurs during the upcoming session that will be beneficial to your weel-being. Repeat this five times.
- Proceed to breath through your helf-open mouth.
- As you breath, concentrate on the void in front of you.
- Select a point a foot away from your forehead, then change your point of mental reference to six feet.
- Turn the point 90 degrees upward by drawing an imaginary line parallel to your body axis up and above your head. Focus there and reach out for the vibrations at that point and bring them back into your body. Even if you don’t know what these vibrations are, you will know when you have achieved contact with them.
5. Control the vibrational state. Focus on these vibrations and aid them in coursing through your entire body. Use your mind to do this, you need your whole body to experience the vibrations, as if they were waves covering you.
- Mentally push the vibrations into your head
- Move them down to your toes slowly, allowing them to surge through your entire body
- Concentrate on the vibrations and mentally push a wave of them out of your head
- Guide this wave down your body
You need to practice this enough that you can do this at will. Now that you have complete control of your vibrational state, you will be able to leave your body.
6. Begin partial separation. In this state, thought control is key. Keep your mind firmly focused on the idea of leaving the body and do not let it wander as the moment your thoughts stray, you may lose control of this state and have to start over.
Now, release a hand or foot of your astral body. Stretch it to an item that is close to you, whether it’s a wall, your bed frame, or a desk. Now push that limb through the object. Bring that limb back to your physical body and decrease your vibrational rate. When you’ve succeeded, bring this session to a close and lie quietly to calm yourself to a fully normal state of awakening. This exercise will prepare you for the following… a full separation
7. Full dissociation from the body. Complete steps 1-5. At step 6, instead of pulling your limb back to your physical body, you can progress to this. Think about getting lighter and lighter after entering the vibrational state. Focus on the serenity you will gain from floating upward. Keep this thought in mind constantly and completely disallow any straw, extraneous thoughts from interrupting it. The astral body at this point should transport itself away from the physical body, and you should feel a floating or flying effect.
There you have it. The Monroe method.
Let me know of your experiences with this and any modifications you’ve made to make this even more effective for you.[credits: source, source]